Saturday, June 28, 2014

I Never Signed Up for This



The next short story in my Girls of Summer series is going to be Calendar Girl.  In fact, it wasn't even close this time.   The vote went as follows:

Calendar Girl 7
Doubling Down 3
Mask of the Jaguar 1

Calendar Girl had such a big lead, that with Cuckolded by the Girl Gang already with my beta readers I began to write Calendar Girl, midweek.  I didn't sign up for this.  While I usually strive for the 6,000 to 8,000 word mark on stories, I will be surprised if I can limit Calendar Girl to only 16,000 words.    I never expected it to be this long and breaking it up into parts wasn't an option.  Who wants to buy a book called Calendar Girl, where the main character doesn't even pose for the calendar?

The problem is that my characters rarely listen to me and Jen, the lead female in this book is particularly rebellious.  Somewhere along the way, she has learned to love her power and the humiliation she can cause Brandon.  This has led to new situations and plot points that I had not counted on during the planning or outlining stages.  When she humiliates him in front of some of his classmates, we have a very interesting detour, but it's made the story a bit longer than I planned.  I really am enjoying these characters and I hope the final product will be one of my better ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment